Constantly stretching our investments and ROI is a new IT mandate. Doing more with less is a common theme, particularly in IT operations. With the current explosive growth of data, and its exponential growth trajectory, how can you keep up?
If you’ve already invested in Veeam for backing up and recovering data, you’re in luck. Your Veeam licensing comes with built-in deduplication which will assist you with space-saving in your environment. Veeam’s data compression ratio is only about 2:1 whereas many offerings in the market can get you closer to 7:1 or even 10:1. It’s not the best out there but it’s definitely a start!
Herein lies the importance of leveraging backup appliances in your environment. Many Purpose-Built Backup Appliances (PBBA) have deep integrations with Veeam and will greatly improve your data compression ratios. The following appliances will process the data compression and deduplication with their own engine and offload it from the Veeam software. This helps improve the process, but also the efficiency of your backup environment.
- Dell EMC Data Domain: Data Domain has long been touted as one of the best PBBAs on the market. With the Veeam integration capabilities it can offer native support, source-side deduplication, data in-flight encryption over your WAN, and a whole lot more.
- HPE StoreOnce Catalyst: This deduplication system is a good fit for many different data management scenarios like replicating from small ROBOs or long-term data archiving. The native integration can help reduce your bandwidth consumption by backing up across ‘the wire’.
- ExaGrid: Positioned as the go-to PBBA for Veeam environments due to the Instant VM Recovery feature and ExaGrid-Veeam Accelerated Data Mover. These features allow for very high data compression ratios and long-term retention.
- Nimble: Leverage Storage Snapshots for quick recovery and orchestration. Restore from replicated copies.
- NetApp: Creates image-based backups and integrates with SnapMirror.
All in all, doing more with less is the new normal. We need technology that provides us with more efficiency to help meet our stringent SLAs and shrinking recovery windows.
If you leverage Veeam along with a PBBA, you get the greater efficiency you need and an increased data compression ratio allowing for less storage capacity. There are a ton of great PBBA options out there and each offers unique functionality so reach out if you’d like to go more in-depth.
Discover a better outcome.
Veeam is a MicroAge preferred partner. Learn how we can help you take your Veeam environment further to make a powerful impact for your organization with high-performance technologies.